Trek Grade: Difficult Best Season: July to September Type: Trekking + Summit
Stok Kangri Massif summit is one of the most famous and easily accessible peaks above 6,000 meters in Ladakh, a part of Zanskar range to the south of Leh. Stok village where the trek starts from is a 30 minutes drive from Leh town. It draws attraction from all around the globe and is one of the favorite and famous peaks among tourist. It offers a spectacular view of Indus valley and Karakoram Range. Besides the climb, the trek is famous for its colorful shades of mountains and view of Stok Range. Other peaks in the circuit include Golaib Kangri (5,900m) adjacent to Stok Kangri, Matho Kangri to the west (5,950m) and many unclimbed and unnamed peaks in the area.
Stok Kangri can be approached from Spituk, Matho villages also but Stok village is the most famous starting point, it can be climbed in minimum 4 days. It is famous among amateurs as well as experienced climbers. Peak lovers, climbers from all over the globe come here and try to make it to the top of Stok Kangri Summit. It is a non-technical climb peak. Use of gears like crampons, ice-axe, ropes etc depends on availability of glacier and snow falls, weather condition play an important role in climbing the peak. It is, in no way, an easy trek. The only reason this trek is considered a difficult one is due to the height (altitude) of the peak.
- Educate yourself about the environment, ecology, customs and traditions of Ladakh.
- Minimise your carbon footprint by avoiding and not using plastics of any kind.
- Keep all pollutants away from the river, streams and other water sources.
- Do not urinate or defecate near water sources or camping ground.
- Ladakh is rich in monasteries, other religious and historical sites, keeping in view the sanctity, abide by the guidelines and follow the instruction set by the local authorities.
- Do not interfere, interrupt or disturb the locals you encounter during the trek, respect the privacy of the host; always seek permission before taking their pictures.
- Do not carry any sort of drugs or alcohol, refrain from these activities.
- Take happy memories and leave nothing but you footprints.
- Abide and follow the instructions given by the trek leader/ guide in to make it a lifelong happy memory.
What is included in the tour
- 2 professional summit guides cum trek leader and support staff
- 1 head cook, 1 asst. cook & 2 helpers
- All gears & Sleeping bag (4 season)
- First aid medical kits and oxygen cylinders
- Client tents, kitchen and dining tents + toilet tents
- 3 time proper meal during the trek
- Tea and snack
- Horses/ponies/donkeys to carry equipment’s, food ration, kitchen utensils, luggage etc.
- Transportation pick-up and drop to trekking point
- Airport pickup and drop
- Accommodation in guest house
- IMF fee, Trekking fee, Camping fee
What is NOT included in the tour
- Meals in Leh (before the trek starts)
- Meals during road journeys
- Personal gears and any kind of personal expenses
- Monastery and Monument entry fees
- Horses/mules or porter to carry personal luggage
- Tips, Mineral water, Extra tours and anything which is not specifically mentioned in the cost inclusions
- Any expense caused by Natural Calamities
- Any expense due to accidents, medical evacuations, riots, strikes etc.
- Meals/ services beyond what's listed in the itinerary
A Nine Days High Altitude Trek & Summit for Mountain Lovers
Day 1: Arrive in Leh, Ladakh
Arrive at Leh K B R Airport (world's highest airfield). Upon arrival you will meet our representative at the airport and transfer to Hotel/ guest house for check in. We suggest you to have the complete day rest for acclimatization to avoid High Altitude Sickness (HAS) which is common to guest flying from very low attitude to sudden high altitude areas like Leh which is at 3,358 m above sea level. You will be greeted at hotel with herbal tea which is recommended for good health.
Day 2: Acclimatization in Leh
Today is the second day for acclimatization; post lunch the guide will take the group for a short hike up to the Shanti Stupa to check the health status of the participants, spend an hour at the Shanti Stupa start point and proceed downwards back to Leh market all way walking to reach hotel/ guest house. The guide will brief you about the Stok Summit. A question and answer session regarding the summit will follow. The participants will check all the gears to be used during the summit.
Day 3: Drive from Leh to Stok & Trek to Mankarmo
Morning drive from Leh to Stok village takes around 20-25 minutes. The first day's trek starts from the trekking point at Stok. It is a long walk, follow the trail of the stream on the left bank through the valley, reach Mankarmoo. From here the valley turns southwards, it is quite possible to trek up-to the first base camp in a day, but to get acclimatized it is recommended to make it in two days. You will find lots of stone made shepherd camps on the way to the valley. We will pitch our tents here; sleep here for the first night at an altitude of 4,328 m.
Day 4: Mankarmo to Base Camp
The direction to base camp is in the same direction; we will keep walking towards it and head towards the south. We will reach the base camp after a vertical ascend, and it involves crossing streams at several points. We will pitch our tents here on the camping site.
Day 5: Acclimatization or Spare Day (optional)
Take full rest for acclimatization (4,900 m) or spare day in case of bad weather. Adjust yourself for better acclimatization and if you want you could walk up to the Advanced Base Camp (ABC) for the big day (summit) preparation. On the way to the ABC you will be passing through snow and glaciers. Come back the same way, sleep here for the second night at an altitude of 4,900 m.
Day 6: Base Camp to Summit & return to Base Camp
Wake up in the midnight for an early start; check all of your climbing gears including your head torch. We will start our trek in the midnight to reach ABC, till the dawn breaks for proper visibility. Keep walking on the snow and start crossing the glacier towards south east and then climb the peak to the western side. There are two ways to climb the peak, on the left through the glacier the climb is more technical in nature, and the one on the right side is much easier for amateurs with steps of rocks. It takes almost 6-7 hours to climb the peak. When you reach the top; the sun salutes you for your success. The view from the top is magnificent; you will see the Karakoram and the Stok range with sky touching mountains and peaks and the clouds floating in to the sky dancing into the tunes of your success to the summit. Click a selfie of your success with a background of prayer flags blowing in to the air in memories of such high spirit climbers who set their foot and left their imprints to make the world remind of true sportsmanship. Follow the same way for getting down. Relax your body the whole day, sleep here for the third night.
Day 7: Base Camp to Stok village
With an early start, we will walk all the way back in the same direction the way you walked up to the base camp. Reach the Stok village and visit Stok Palace and Museum. Spend the night at Stok village.
Day 8: Stok village to Leh
In the morning the taxi/ tempo will be ready to bring you back to Leh. Transfer to the guest house. Post lunch free for leisure and shopping. Night stay at the guest house/hotel in Leh. Trek ends.
Day 9: Departure from Leh
Our representative will drop you at Leh KBR Airport. Fly back to home with smile and happy memories.
In case, anyone drops out during the trek:
In case of ill health or any other reason, if any participant has to turn back to Leh, the cost of heading back to Leh (Travel + Porter) along with the Cost of stay in Leh has to be borne by the Participant himself/ herself.